The State of E-Commerce
E-Commerce platform usage has exploded over recent years as the world's economy transitions to online. Our mission is to observe and inform on e-commerce usage trends so that app developers and marketers can help merchants succeed. To that end, we are tracking 2,903,241 live stores running on various e-commerce platforms.
Here is a summary of the current state of the e-commerce platforms wars:
- By merchant count, WooCommerce and Shopify dominate. Shopify is growing slightly faster, appears to have greater mindshare and has larger merchants on average.
- Magento and PrestaShop are quite close, in terms of merchant count, but the average Magento merchant is much larger.
- Similary, Big Commerce and Square Online Store are almost the same size by merchant count. Square is growing much faster (it is the e-commerce platform with the highest percentage growth) though it mostly powers micro-merchants.
- Salesforce Commerce Cloud powers relatively few stores but their stores are some of the biggest merchants around (Patagonia, PUMA, etc.)
Read our platform-specific reports for more detailed information:
- The State of Shopify
- The State of WooCommerce
- The State of Magento
- The State of Big Commerce
- The State of Square Online Store
- The State of PrestaShop
- The State of Volusion
- The State of 3DCart
- The State of Salesforce Commerce Cloud
Quarter-over-quarter growth across all platforms has been quite impressive over the last few years. With the world's economy continuing to move online, there is little reason to expect it to change.
Cumulative Stores by Quarter
It's hard to know exactly when a store was first created but we use a heuristic combining DNS and WHOIS data that provides a reasonable approximation.
Here are the top 5 e-commerce stores, across the platforms we track, ordered by worldwide store rank.
Here are the 5 highest-ranked stores added most recently.
Here are the top 20 industry verticals for stores on the platforms we track.
Across the platforms we track, the largest install base is within the United States. But the platforms have a solid presence within the United Kingdom, Canada and Australia as well.
Social Media and Contact Info
Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest have significant presence across stores, with Facebook and Instagram especially showing quite strongly.
As expected, email remains an extremely popular communication channel with the majority of stores providing an email address for customer communication.
Many merchants run third-party technologies on their store in addition to apps from their e-commerce platform's App Store. We're tracking 77 different technologies that have 4,229,123 collective installs.
Here are the top 10 third-party technologies, ordered by number of installs, across all stores.
Top-level Domain Distribution
The vast majority of stores use a .com domain. This is not surprising since alternate top-level domains have only recently been introduced and there is still a certain cachet associated with .com domains.
Get more insights on stores
Our search interface is easy to use and helps you find the stores that are relevant to you.
You can segment stores on a variety of dimensions:
- Social Media accounts
- Email address
- Phone numbers
- Installed Apps
- Creation date
- Top-level domains
- Domain state
- Domain type
For more insights on stores, create a free account and have a look for yourself.