The State of Big Cartel in 2023
Big Cartel is an ecommerce platform for artists and makers.
In this report, we'll cover the following essential statistics on Big Cartel usage.
- Big Cartel growth
- Social media usage on Big Cartel stores
- Contact information on Big Cartel stores
- Top categories for Big Cartel stores
- Top countries for Big Cartel stores
- Number of employees for Big Cartel stores
- Number of products sold for Big Cartel stores
- Top Big Cartel technologies
- Top Shipping Carriers used by Big Cartel stores
- Big Cartel store top-level domain distribution
- Top Big Cartel stores
- New Big Cartel stores
- Stores switching to Big Cartel from other platforms
- Stores switching from Big Cartel to other platforms
Create a free account to get a feel for the data we provide.
Big Cartel Growth
At present, there are 186,282 live stores running on the Big Cartel platform.
Here is the historical growth of stores running Big Cartel.
- Big Cartel stores increased 10.0% quarter-over-quarter in 2023 Q3.
- Big Cartel stores increased 55% year-over-year in 2023 Q3.
Active Stores by Quarter
Note: the store counts displayed in this section are based on actual historical store counts.
It's hard to know exactly when a Big Cartel store was first created but we use a heuristic that includes historical DNS data which provides a reasonable approximation.
Social Media Usage On Big Cartel Stores
Ecommerce brands use social media sites to engage with millions of consumers. Instagram and Facebook are the dominant social media sites for ecommerce stores, by far, with Twitter, Pinterest and YouTube also having notable usage.
- Instagram is used by 36.3% of Big Cartel stores.
- Facebook is used by 20.9% of Big Cartel stores.
- Twitter is used by 8.5% of Big Cartel stores.
Contact Information On Big Cartel Stores
Email remains an extremely popular communication channel for merchants. Many merchants also provide a phone number so that their customers can reach them instantly.
- 2% of Big Cartel stores have an email on their website
- 1% of Big Cartel stores provide a phone number on their website
Top Categories For Big Cartel Stores
Here is the breakdown of industry verticals for stores on Big Cartel.
- 22.9% of Big Cartel stores sell Apparel products.
- 11.4% of Big Cartel stores sell Arts & Entertainment products.
- 7.9% of Big Cartel stores sell Beauty & Fitness products.
Top Countries For Big Cartel Stores
Here are the top countries for stores using Big Cartel.
- 4.5% of Big Cartel stores are in United States
- 3.0% of Big Cartel stores are in United Kingdom
- 0.7% of Big Cartel stores are in Australia
- 0.6% of Big Cartel stores are in Canada
With a paid account, stores can also be segmented by region and city.
Number Of Employees For Big Cartel Stores
Here is the breakdown of Big Cartel stores by the number of employees.
- 99.9% of Big Cartel stores have Unknown employees.
- 0.0% of Big Cartel stores have 1 - 9 employees.
- 0.0% of Big Cartel stores have 25 - 49 employees.
Number Of Products Sold For Big Cartel Stores
Here is the breakdown of Big Cartel stores by the number of products that they sell.
- 57.6% of Big Cartel stores sell 1 - 9 different products.
- 2.3% of Big Cartel stores sell 10 - 24 different products.
- 1.1% of Big Cartel stores sell 25 - 49 different products.
Top Technologies on Big Cartel Stores
We're tracking 125 different technologies that have 741,165 collective installs on Big Cartel stores.
- Cloudflare is used by 100.0% of Big Cartel stores.
- Cloudflare CDN is used by 99.9% of Big Cartel stores.
- reCAPTCHA is used by 75.3% of Big Cartel stores.
Here are the top 10 third-party technologies, ordered by number of installs, across all Big Cartel stores.
Top Shipping Carriers Used By Big Cartel Stores
- USPS is used by 4.6% of Big Cartel stores.
- UPS is used by 1.2% of Big Cartel stores.
- Royal Mail is used by 1.1% of Big Cartel stores.
Here are the top 10 shipping carriers across all Big Cartel stores.
Big Cartel Store Top-level Domain Distribution
.com is the most popular top-level domain for Big Cartel stores. This is not surprising since alternate top-level domains have only been introduced somewhat recently and there is still a certain cachet associated with .com domains.
That said, you'll find stark regional differences in certain countries. In Australia, .com.au is the most common top-level domain with .com a close second. This is the exception however as .com domains dominate in virtually all other countries.
- 92.8% of Big Cartel stores have a .com domain.
- 1.5% of Big Cartel stores have a .co.uk domain.
- 0.7% of Big Cartel stores have a .net domain.
Top Big Cartel Stores
Here are the top stores, powered by Big Cartel, ordered by store rank.
New Big Cartel Stores
Here are the 5 highest-ranked stores added most recently.
Stores Switching to Big Cartel From Other Platforms
Over the last 90 days, Big Cartel has taken 944 merchants from competitive ecommerce platforms.
Here are the top stores that have switched to Big Cartel from competitive ecommerce platforms.
Stores Switching from Big Cartel To Other Platforms
Over the last 90 days, Big Cartel has lost 482 merchants to competitive platforms.
Here are the top Big Cartel stores that have recently changed to a competitive platform.
Get more insights on Big Cartel stores
Our search interface is easy to use and helps you find the Big Cartel stores that are relevant to you.
You can segment stores on a variety of dimensions:
- Social Media accounts
- Email address
- Phone numbers
- Third-party technologies
- Creation date
- Top-level domains
- Domain status
- Domain type
For more insights on Big Cartel stores, create a free account and have a look for yourself.