The State of WooCommerce in 2022
WooCommerce is an open-source ecommerce platform designed for small to large-sized merchants. WooCommerce runs on the WordPress platform. It was originally released in 2011 and has a diverse ecosystem of developers that have created plugins which merchants can use to customize their store.
In this report, we'll cover the following essential statistics on WooCommerce usage.
- WooCommerce growth
- Social media usage on WooCommerce stores
- Contact information on WooCommerce stores
- Top categories for WooCommerce stores
- Top countries for WooCommerce stores
- Top WooCommerce apps
- Number of employees for WooCommerce stores
- Number of products sold for WooCommerce stores
- Top WooCommerce technologies
- Top Shipping Carriers used by WooCommerce stores
- Top WooCommerce themes
- WooCommerce store top-level domain distribution
- Top WooCommerce stores
- New WooCommerce stores
- Stores switching to WooCommerce from other platforms
- Stores switching from WooCommerce to other platforms
Create a free account to get a feel for the data we provide.
At present, there are 3,806,610 live stores running on the WooCommerce platform.
Here is the historical growth of stores running WooCommerce.
- WooCommerce stores increased 6.6% quarter-over-quarter in 2022 Q2.
- WooCommerce stores increased 27% year-over-year in 2022 Q2.
Cumulative Stores by Quarter
It's hard to know exactly when a WooCommerce store was first created but we use a heuristic combining DNS and WHOIS data that provides a reasonable approximation.
Social Media Usage On WooCommerce Stores
Ecommerce brands use social media sites to engage with millions of consumers. Instagram and Facebook are the dominant social media sites for ecommerce stores, by far, with Twitter, Pinterest and YouTube also having notable usage.
- Facebook is used by 43.0% of WooCommerce stores.
- Instagram is used by 37.4% of WooCommerce stores.
- Twitter is used by 13.2% of WooCommerce stores.
Contact Information On WooCommerce Stores
Email remains an extremely popular communication channel for merchants. Many merchants also provide a phone number so that their customers can reach them instantly.
- 54% of WooCommerce stores have an email on their website
- 53% of WooCommerce stores provide a phone number on their website
Top Categories For WooCommerce Stores
Here is the breakdown of industry verticals for stores on WooCommerce.
- 6.3% of WooCommerce stores sell Home & Garden products.
- 6.3% of WooCommerce stores sell Apparel products.
- 4.5% of WooCommerce stores sell Food & Drink products.
Top Countries For WooCommerce Stores
The largest part of WooCommerce's install base is within the United States, but they have a solid presence within the United Kingdom, Australia and Europe as well.
- 10.6% of WooCommerce stores are in United States
- 4.6% of WooCommerce stores are in United Kingdom
- 2.6% of WooCommerce stores are in India
- 2.3% of WooCommerce stores are in Italy
With a paid account, stores can also be segmented by region and city.
Top WooCommerce Apps
Here are the top WooCommerce apps, ordered by number of installs, across all stores.
- 10.2% of WooCommerce stores have installed the Mailchimp for WooCommerce WooCommerce app.
- 4.1% of WooCommerce stores have installed the PayPal Checkout WooCommerce app.
- 2.4% of WooCommerce stores have installed the WooCommerce Product Blocks WooCommerce app.
This list is not representative of all WooCommerce apps since we are only able to detect a subset of app installs. Fortunately, many of the most popular apps can be detected. At present, we are tracking 856,566 installs for 44 different apps.
With a paid account on Store Leads, you'll be able to see which stores have installed specific apps. You can also see when specific apps were installed (or uninstalled) by each store.
Number Of Employees For WooCommerce Stores
Here is the breakdown of WooCommerce stores by the number of employees.
- 0.5% of WooCommerce stores have 1 - 9 employees.
- 0.2% of WooCommerce stores have 10 - 24 employees.
- 0.1% of WooCommerce stores have 25 - 49 employees.
Number Of Products Sold For WooCommerce Stores
Here is the breakdown of WooCommerce stores by the number of products that they sell.
- 22.5% of WooCommerce stores sell 1 - 9 different products.
- 9.2% of WooCommerce stores sell 10 - 24 different products.
- 8.4% of WooCommerce stores sell 25 - 49 different products.
Top Technologies on WooCommerce Stores
Many WooCommerce merchants run third-party technologies on their store in addition to apps from the WooCommerce App Store.
We're tracking 397 different technologies that have 8,723,598 collective installs on WooCommerce stores.
- Yoast is used by 40.3% of WooCommerce stores.
- Google Tag Manager is used by 35.1% of WooCommerce stores.
- Google Analytics is used by 33.7% of WooCommerce stores.
Here are the top 10 third-party technologies, ordered by number of installs, across all WooCommerce stores.
Top Shipping Carriers Used By WooCommerce Stores
- USPS is used by 1.9% of WooCommerce stores.
- UPS is used by 1.8% of WooCommerce stores.
- Fedex is used by 1.2% of WooCommerce stores.
Here are the top 10 shipping carriers across all WooCommerce stores.
Top WooCommerce Themes
- The astra theme is used by 8.7% of WooCommerce stores and is the most popular theme.
- The flatsome theme is used by 7.0% of WooCommerce stores and is the second most popular theme.
- The divi theme is used by 5.9% of WooCommerce stores and is the third most popular theme.
WooCommerce Store Top-level Domain Distribution
.com is the most popular top-level domain for WooCommerce stores. This is not surprising since alternate top-level domains have only been introduced somewhat recently and there is still a certain cachet associated with .com domains.
That said, you'll find stark regional differences in certain countries. In Australia, .com.au is the most common top-level domain with .com a close second. This is the exception however as .com domains dominate in virtually all other countries.
- 54.8% of WooCommerce stores have a .com domain.
- 3.2% of WooCommerce stores have a .co.uk domain.
- 2.5% of WooCommerce stores have a .org domain.
Top WooCommerce Stores
Here are the top stores, powered by WooCommerce, ordered by store rank.
New WooCommerce Stores
Here are the 5 highest-ranked stores added most recently.
Stores Switching to WooCommerce From Other Platforms
Over the last 90 days, WooCommerce has taken 21,475 merchants from competitive ecommerce platforms.
Here are the top stores that have switched to WooCommerce from competitive ecommerce platforms.
Stores Switching from WooCommerce To Other Platforms
Over the last 90 days, WooCommerce has lost 13,026 merchants to competitive platforms.
Here are the top WooCommerce stores that have recently changed to a competitive platform.
Get more insights on WooCommerce stores
Our search interface is easy to use and helps you find the WooCommerce stores that are relevant to you.
You can segment stores on a variety of dimensions:
- Social Media accounts
- Email address
- Phone numbers
- Third-party technologies
- Creation date
- Top-level domains
- Domain status
- Domain type
For more insights on WooCommerce stores, create a free account and have a look for yourself.