The State of OpenCart in 2022
OpenCart is an open store ecommerce platform based on PHP and MySQL.
In this report, we'll cover the following essential statistics on OpenCart usage.
- OpenCart growth
- Social media usage on OpenCart stores
- Contact information on OpenCart stores
- Top categories for OpenCart stores
- Top countries for OpenCart stores
- Number of employees for OpenCart stores
- Number of products sold for OpenCart stores
- Top OpenCart technologies
- Top Shipping Carriers used by OpenCart stores
- OpenCart store top-level domain distribution
- Top OpenCart stores
- New OpenCart stores
- Stores switching to OpenCart from other platforms
- Stores switching from OpenCart to other platforms
Create a free account to get a feel for the data we provide.
At present, there are 147,315 live stores running on the OpenCart platform.
Here is the historical growth of stores running OpenCart.
- OpenCart stores increased 5.4% quarter-over-quarter in 2022 Q2.
- OpenCart stores increased 21% year-over-year in 2022 Q2.
Cumulative Stores by Quarter
It's hard to know exactly when a OpenCart store was first created but we use a heuristic combining DNS and WHOIS data that provides a reasonable approximation.
Social Media Usage On OpenCart Stores
Ecommerce brands use social media sites to engage with millions of consumers. Instagram and Facebook are the dominant social media sites for ecommerce stores, by far, with Twitter, Pinterest and YouTube also having notable usage.
- Facebook is used by 22.7% of OpenCart stores.
- Instagram is used by 18.0% of OpenCart stores.
- Twitter is used by 6.8% of OpenCart stores.
Contact Information On OpenCart Stores
Email remains an extremely popular communication channel for merchants. Many merchants also provide a phone number so that their customers can reach them instantly.
- 47% of OpenCart stores provide a phone number on their website
- 34% of OpenCart stores have an email on their website
Top Categories For OpenCart Stores
Here is the breakdown of industry verticals for stores on OpenCart.
- 13.1% of OpenCart stores sell Apparel products.
- 7.5% of OpenCart stores sell Home & Garden products.
- 4.6% of OpenCart stores sell Computers products.
Top Countries For OpenCart Stores
Here are the top countries for stores using OpenCart.
- 9.0% of OpenCart stores are in Russian Federation
- 4.5% of OpenCart stores are in United Kingdom
- 4.3% of OpenCart stores are in United States
- 3.3% of OpenCart stores are in Ukraine
With a paid account, stores can also be segmented by region and city.
Number Of Employees For OpenCart Stores
Here is the breakdown of OpenCart stores by the number of employees.
- 0.5% of OpenCart stores have 1 - 9 employees.
- 0.3% of OpenCart stores have 10 - 24 employees.
- 0.2% of OpenCart stores have 25 - 49 employees.
Number Of Products Sold For OpenCart Stores
Here is the breakdown of OpenCart stores by the number of products that they sell.
- 12.8% of OpenCart stores sell 1 - 9 different products.
- 11.9% of OpenCart stores sell 100 - 249 different products.
- 10.6% of OpenCart stores sell 250 - 999 different products.
Top Technologies on OpenCart Stores
We're tracking 194 different technologies that have 198,424 collective installs on OpenCart stores.
- Google Analytics is used by 30.7% of OpenCart stores.
- Google Tag Manager is used by 28.6% of OpenCart stores.
- Cloudflare CDN is used by 12.5% of OpenCart stores.
Here are the top 10 third-party technologies, ordered by number of installs, across all OpenCart stores.
Top Shipping Carriers Used By OpenCart Stores
- UPS is used by 3.4% of OpenCart stores.
- USPS is used by 1.7% of OpenCart stores.
- Fedex is used by 1.4% of OpenCart stores.
Here are the top 10 shipping carriers across all OpenCart stores.
OpenCart Store Top-level Domain Distribution
.com is the most popular top-level domain for OpenCart stores. This is not surprising since alternate top-level domains have only been introduced somewhat recently and there is still a certain cachet associated with .com domains.
That said, you'll find stark regional differences in certain countries. In Australia, .com.au is the most common top-level domain with .com a close second. This is the exception however as .com domains dominate in virtually all other countries.
- 42.5% of OpenCart stores have a .com domain.
- 8.4% of OpenCart stores have a .ru domain.
- 3.7% of OpenCart stores have a .co.uk domain.
Top OpenCart Stores
Here are the top stores, powered by OpenCart, ordered by store rank.
New OpenCart Stores
Here are the 5 highest-ranked stores added most recently.
Stores Switching to OpenCart From Other Platforms
Over the last 90 days, OpenCart has taken 1,159 merchants from competitive ecommerce platforms.
Here are the top stores that have switched to OpenCart from competitive ecommerce platforms.
Stores Switching from OpenCart To Other Platforms
Over the last 90 days, OpenCart has lost 2,368 merchants to competitive platforms.
Here are the top OpenCart stores that have recently changed to a competitive platform.
Get more insights on OpenCart stores
Our search interface is easy to use and helps you find the OpenCart stores that are relevant to you.
You can segment stores on a variety of dimensions:
- Social Media accounts
- Email address
- Phone numbers
- Third-party technologies
- Creation date
- Top-level domains
- Domain status
- Domain type
For more insights on OpenCart stores, create a free account and have a look for yourself.