The State of Magento in 2021
Magento is an open-source ecommerce platform that allows merchants to customize the entire shopping experience. The company behind Magento was acquired by Adobe in May 2018. Adobe provides a hosted version of Magento (called Magento Commerce Cloud) but you can also host your Magento store on a variety of other platforms or even on your own servers.
In this report, we'll cover the following essential statistics on Magento usage.
- Magento growth
- Social media usage on Magento stores
- Contact information on Magento stores
- Top categories for Magento stores
- Top countries for Magento stores
- Top Magento apps
- Number of employees for Magento stores
- Number of products sold for Magento stores
- Top Magento technologies
- Top Shipping Carriers used by Magento stores
- Magento store top-level domain distribution
- Top Magento stores
- New Magento stores
- Stores switching to Magento from other platforms
- Stores switching from Magento to other platforms
Create a free account to get a feel for the data we provide.
At present, there are 156,589 live stores running on the Magento platform.
Here is the historical growth of stores running Magento.
- Magento stores increased 4.0% quarter-over-quarter in 2021 Q2.
- Magento stores increased 23% year-over-year in 2021 Q2.
Cumulative Stores by Quarter
It's hard to know exactly when a Magento store was first created but we use a heuristic combining DNS and WHOIS data that provides a reasonable approximation.
Social Media Usage On Magento Stores
Ecommerce brands use social media sites to engage with millions of consumers. Instagram and Facebook are the dominant social media sites for ecommerce stores, by far, with Twitter, Pinterest and YouTube also having notable usage.
- Facebook is used by 45.9% of Magento stores.
- Instagram is used by 33.7% of Magento stores.
- Twitter is used by 21.8% of Magento stores.
Contact Information On Magento Stores
Email remains an extremely popular communication channel for merchants. Many merchants also provide a phone number so that their customers can reach them instantly.
- 53% of Magento stores have an email on their website
- 41% of Magento stores provide a phone number on their website
Top Categories For Magento Stores
Here is the breakdown of industry verticals for stores on Magento.
- 12.3% of Magento stores sell Apparel products.
- 9.9% of Magento stores sell Home & Garden products.
- 4.3% of Magento stores sell Business & Industrial products.
Top Countries For Magento Stores
Here are the top countries for stores using Magento.
- 10.7% of Magento stores are in United States
- 7.9% of Magento stores are in United Kingdom
- 6.4% of Magento stores are in Germany
- 6.1% of Magento stores are in Netherlands
With a paid account, stores can also be segmented by region and city.
Top Magento Apps
Magento has a mature partner ecosystem developing apps for their platform. 1,364 different vendors have published 5,731 apps in the Magento App Store.
Here are the top Magento apps, ordered by number of installs, across all stores.
- 8.8% of Magento stores have installed the Improved Layered Navigation Magento app.
- 3.4% of Magento stores have installed the AJAX Cart Pro Magento app.
- 1.6% of Magento stores have installed the Yotpo Reviews Magento app.
This list is not representative of all Magento apps since we are only able to detect a subset of app installs. Fortunately, many of the most popular apps can be detected. At present, we are tracking 24,749 installs for 12 different apps.
With a paid account on Store Leads, you'll be able to see which stores have installed specific apps. You can also see when specific apps were installed (or uninstalled) by each store.
Number Of Employees For Magento Stores
Here is the breakdown of Magento stores by the number of employees.
- 1.6% of Magento stores have 1 - 9 employees.
- 1.0% of Magento stores have 10 - 24 employees.
- 0.8% of Magento stores have 25 - 49 employees.
Number Of Products Sold For Magento Stores
Here is the breakdown of Magento stores by the number of products that they sell.
- 12.7% of Magento stores sell 250 - 999 different products.
- 8.9% of Magento stores sell 1000 - 4999 different products.
- 6.5% of Magento stores sell 100 - 249 different products.
Top Technologies on Magento Stores
Many Magento merchants run third-party technologies on their store in addition to apps from the Magento App Store.
We're tracking 259 different technologies that have 345,674 collective installs on Magento stores.
- Google Tag Manager is used by 34.0% of Magento stores.
- Google Analytics is used by 24.4% of Magento stores.
- Facebook Pixel is used by 20.2% of Magento stores.
Here are the top 10 third-party technologies, ordered by number of installs, across all Magento stores.
Top Shipping Carriers Used By Magento Stores
- UPS is used by 9.1% of Magento stores.
- Fedex is used by 3.8% of Magento stores.
- USPS is used by 3.4% of Magento stores.
Here are the top 10 shipping carriers across all Magento stores.
Magento Store Top-level Domain Distribution
.com is the most popular top-level domain for Magento stores. This is not surprising since alternate top-level domains have only been introduced somewhat recently and there is still a certain cachet associated with .com domains.
That said, you'll find stark regional differences in certain countries. In Australia, .com.au is the most common top-level domain with .com a close second. This is the exception however as .com domains dominate in virtually all other countries.
- 43.5% of Magento stores have a .com domain.
- 5.7% of Magento stores have a .co.uk domain.
- 5.5% of Magento stores have a .de domain.
Top Magento Stores
Here are the top stores, powered by Magento, ordered by store rank.
New Magento Stores
Here are the 5 highest-ranked stores added most recently.
Stores Switching to Magento From Other Platforms
Over the last 90 days, Magento has taken 530 merchants from competitive ecommerce platforms.
Here are the top stores that have switched to Magento from competitive ecommerce platforms.
Stores Switching from Magento To Other Platforms
Over the last 90 days, Magento has lost 1,798 merchants to competitive platforms.
Here are the top Magento stores that have recently changed to a competitive platform.
Get more insights on Magento stores
Our search interface is easy to use and helps you find the Magento stores that are relevant to you.
You can segment stores on a variety of dimensions:
- Social Media accounts
- Email address
- Phone numbers
- Third-party technologies
- Creation date
- Top-level domains
- Domain status
- Domain type
For more insights on Magento stores, create a free account and have a look for yourself.