The State of Square Online in 2022
Square Online is an ecommerce platform that resulted from Square's acquisition of Weebly in April, 2018. The new platform was launched to the public in March 2019.
As a major player in the payments space, Square brings a large customer base of offline merchants to the ecommerce wars. Many of those merchants have had to use other platforms for ecommerce and it will be interesting to see how successful Square is at converting merchants to the new platform.
At the time of launch, the new platform could not complete on features with mature offerings like Shopify. However, Square's goal is likely to prevent existing small merchants from using other platforms while slowly bringing their platform upmarket over time. This parallels the approach used with the launch of their card reader, which appealed mostly to micro-merchants and slowly grew to support large businesses.
In this report, we'll cover the following essential statistics on Square Online usage.
- Square Online growth
- Social media usage on Square Online stores
- Contact information on Square Online stores
- Top categories for Square Online stores
- Top countries for Square Online stores
- Number of employees for Square Online stores
- Number of products sold for Square Online stores
- Top Square Online technologies
- Top Shipping Carriers used by Square Online stores
- Square Online store top-level domain distribution
- Top Square Online stores
- New Square Online stores
- Stores switching to Square Online from other platforms
- Stores switching from Square Online to other platforms
Create a free account to get a feel for the data we provide.
Square Online Growth
At present, there are 195,425 live stores running on the Square Online platform.
Since launch, Square Online has shown impressive quarter-over-quarter growth. In percentage terms, it is the fastest growing ecommerce platform. In absolute numbers, it is now a mid-size platform in the ecommerce space, with approximately the same number of stores as established platforms like Magento. We'll be watching closely to see if it manages to sustain this growth. It's a little unclear how much of this initial success is due to converting existing Weebly customers to the new platform or from migrating part of Square's extensive base of offline-first merchants to the online world. Both sources are likely contributing.
It should also be noted that merchant counts aren't everything. Due to its nascent feature set, merchants on Square Online still tend to be smaller operations that don't need the advanced features that you'll find on other platforms. So the average Square Online likely contributes much lower GPV than the average Shopify merchant. As noted above, this is consistent with their expected strategy of starting with micro-merchants and moving up-market over time. Initial indications are that this approach is gaining traction.
- Square Online stores increased 13.0% quarter-over-quarter in 2022 Q1.
- Square Online stores increased 71% year-over-year in 2022 Q1.
Cumulative Stores by Quarter
It's hard to know exactly when a Square Online store was first created but we use a heuristic combining DNS and WHOIS data that provides a reasonable approximation.
Social Media Usage On Square Online Stores
Ecommerce brands use social media sites to engage with millions of consumers. Instagram and Facebook are the dominant social media sites for ecommerce stores, by far, with Twitter, Pinterest and YouTube also having notable usage.
- Facebook is used by 40.4% of Square Online stores.
- Instagram is used by 38.1% of Square Online stores.
- Twitter is used by 8.6% of Square Online stores.
Contact Information On Square Online Stores
Email remains an extremely popular communication channel for merchants. Many merchants also provide a phone number so that their customers can reach them instantly.
- 73% of Square Online stores provide a phone number on their website
- 51% of Square Online stores have an email on their website
Top Categories For Square Online Stores
Here is the breakdown of industry verticals for stores on Square Online.
- 9.2% of Square Online stores sell Food & Drink products.
- 5.2% of Square Online stores sell Beauty & Fitness products.
- 3.3% of Square Online stores sell Apparel products.
Top Countries For Square Online Stores
Here are the top countries for stores using Square Online.
- 83.7% of Square Online stores are in United States
- 6.5% of Square Online stores are in Canada
- 4.3% of Square Online stores are in Australia
- 3.4% of Square Online stores are in United Kingdom
With a paid account, stores can also be segmented by region and city.
Number Of Employees For Square Online Stores
Here is the breakdown of Square Online stores by the number of employees.
- 0.0% of Square Online stores have 1 - 9 employees.
- 0.0% of Square Online stores have 10 - 24 employees.
- 0.0% of Square Online stores have 100 - 249 employees.
Number Of Products Sold For Square Online Stores
Here is the breakdown of Square Online stores by the number of products that they sell.
- 4.0% of Square Online stores sell 1 - 9 different products.
- 0.8% of Square Online stores sell 10 - 24 different products.
- 0.6% of Square Online stores sell 25 - 49 different products.
Top Technologies on Square Online Stores
We're tracking 99 different technologies that have 760,876 collective installs on Square Online stores.
- Afterpay is used by 99.7% of Square Online stores.
- Square is used by 99.2% of Square Online stores.
- Google Tag Manager is used by 85.5% of Square Online stores.
Here are the top 10 third-party technologies, ordered by number of installs, across all Square Online stores.
Top Shipping Carriers Used By Square Online Stores
- USPS is used by 5.5% of Square Online stores.
- UPS is used by 1.8% of Square Online stores.
- Fedex is used by 0.6% of Square Online stores.
Here are the top 10 shipping carriers across all Square Online stores.
Square Online Store Top-level Domain Distribution
.com is the most popular top-level domain for Square Online stores. This is not surprising since alternate top-level domains have only been introduced somewhat recently and there is still a certain cachet associated with .com domains.
That said, you'll find stark regional differences in certain countries. In Australia, .com.au is the most common top-level domain with .com a close second. This is the exception however as .com domains dominate in virtually all other countries.
- 55.9% of Square Online stores have a .com domain.
- 32.6% of Square Online stores have a .site domain.
- 1.9% of Square Online stores have a .com.au domain.
Top Square Online Stores
Here are the top stores, powered by Square Online, ordered by store rank.
New Square Online Stores
Here are the 5 highest-ranked stores added most recently.
Stores Switching to Square Online From Other Platforms
Over the last 90 days, Square Online has taken 1,142 merchants from competitive ecommerce platforms.
Here are the top stores that have switched to Square Online from competitive ecommerce platforms.
Stores Switching from Square Online To Other Platforms
Over the last 90 days, Square Online has lost 1,610 merchants to competitive platforms.
Here are the top Square Online stores that have recently changed to a competitive platform.
Get more insights on Square Online stores
Our search interface is easy to use and helps you find the Square Online stores that are relevant to you.
You can segment stores on a variety of dimensions:
- Social Media accounts
- Email address
- Phone numbers
- Creation date
- Top-level domains
- Domain status
- Domain type
For more insights on Square Online stores, create a free account and have a look for yourself.