The State of Squarespace in 2021
Squarespace provides a platform for easily creating and hosting websites. Launched in 2004, it powers several million websites but only a few of them are stores using the Squarespace ecommerce features.
In this report, we'll cover the following essential statistics on Squarespace usage.
- Squarespace growth
- Social media usage on Squarespace stores
- Contact information on Squarespace stores
- Top categories for Squarespace stores
- Top countries for Squarespace stores
- Number of employees for Squarespace stores
- Number of products sold for Squarespace stores
- Top Squarespace technologies
- Top Shipping Carriers used by Squarespace stores
- Squarespace store top-level domain distribution
- Top Squarespace stores
- New Squarespace stores
- Stores switching to Squarespace from other platforms
- Stores switching from Squarespace to other platforms
Create a free account to get a feel for the data we provide.
At present, there are 127,216 live stores running on the Squarespace platform.
Here is the historical growth of stores running Squarespace.
- Squarespace stores increased 7.3% quarter-over-quarter in 2021 Q2.
- Squarespace stores increased 53% year-over-year in 2021 Q2.
Cumulative Stores by Quarter
It's hard to know exactly when a Squarespace store was first created but we use a heuristic combining DNS and WHOIS data that provides a reasonable approximation.
Social Media Usage On Squarespace Stores
Ecommerce brands use social media sites to engage with millions of consumers. Instagram and Facebook are the dominant social media sites for ecommerce stores, by far, with Twitter, Pinterest and YouTube also having notable usage.
- Instagram is used by 67.2% of Squarespace stores.
- Facebook is used by 52.7% of Squarespace stores.
- Twitter is used by 18.9% of Squarespace stores.
Contact Information On Squarespace Stores
Email remains an extremely popular communication channel for merchants. Many merchants also provide a phone number so that their customers can reach them instantly.
- 58% of Squarespace stores have an email on their website
- 30% of Squarespace stores provide a phone number on their website
Top Categories For Squarespace Stores
Here is the breakdown of industry verticals for stores on Squarespace.
- 12.9% of Squarespace stores sell Arts & Entertainment products.
- 11.2% of Squarespace stores sell Food & Drink products.
- 11.1% of Squarespace stores sell Apparel products.
Top Countries For Squarespace Stores
Here are the top countries for stores using Squarespace.
- 35.8% of Squarespace stores are in United States
- 6.8% of Squarespace stores are in United Kingdom
- 3.5% of Squarespace stores are in Canada
- 3.5% of Squarespace stores are in Australia
With a paid account, stores can also be segmented by region and city.
Number Of Employees For Squarespace Stores
Here is the breakdown of Squarespace stores by the number of employees.
- 0.1% of Squarespace stores have 1 - 9 employees.
- 0.0% of Squarespace stores have 10 - 24 employees.
- 0.0% of Squarespace stores have 25 - 49 employees.
Number Of Products Sold For Squarespace Stores
Here is the breakdown of Squarespace stores by the number of products that they sell.
- 6.4% of Squarespace stores sell 1 - 9 different products.
- 2.8% of Squarespace stores sell 10 - 24 different products.
- 2.5% of Squarespace stores sell 25 - 49 different products.
Top Technologies on Squarespace Stores
We're tracking 158 different technologies that have 88,725 collective installs on Squarespace stores.
- Google Analytics is used by 20.9% of Squarespace stores.
- Facebook Pixel is used by 15.7% of Squarespace stores.
- YouTube Player is used by 9.6% of Squarespace stores.
Here are the top 10 third-party technologies, ordered by number of installs, across all Squarespace stores.
Top Shipping Carriers Used By Squarespace Stores
- UPS is used by 98.7% of Squarespace stores.
- USPS is used by 5.3% of Squarespace stores.
- Fedex is used by 1.1% of Squarespace stores.
Here are the top 10 shipping carriers across all Squarespace stores.
Squarespace Store Top-level Domain Distribution
.com is the most popular top-level domain for Squarespace stores. This is not surprising since alternate top-level domains have only been introduced somewhat recently and there is still a certain cachet associated with .com domains.
That said, you'll find stark regional differences in certain countries. In Australia, .com.au is the most common top-level domain with .com a close second. This is the exception however as .com domains dominate in virtually all other countries.
- 78.5% of Squarespace stores have a .com domain.
- 4.0% of Squarespace stores have a .org domain.
- 4.0% of Squarespace stores have a .co.uk domain.
Top Squarespace Stores
Here are the top stores, powered by Squarespace, ordered by store rank.
New Squarespace Stores
Here are the 5 highest-ranked stores added most recently.
Stores Switching to Squarespace From Other Platforms
Over the last 90 days, Squarespace has taken 3,413 merchants from competitive ecommerce platforms.
Here are the top stores that have switched to Squarespace from competitive ecommerce platforms.
Stores Switching from Squarespace To Other Platforms
Over the last 90 days, Squarespace has lost 713 merchants to competitive platforms.
Here are the top Squarespace stores that have recently changed to a competitive platform.
Get more insights on Squarespace stores
Our search interface is easy to use and helps you find the Squarespace stores that are relevant to you.
You can segment stores on a variety of dimensions:
- Social Media accounts
- Email address
- Phone numbers
- Third-party technologies
- Creation date
- Top-level domains
- Domain status
- Domain type
For more insights on Squarespace stores, create a free account and have a look for yourself.