The State of BigCommerce in 2021
BigCommerce is an ecommerce platform with an impressive array of built-in features and a strong emphasis on SEO.
In this report, we'll cover the following essential statistics on BigCommerce usage.
- BigCommerce growth
- Social media usage on BigCommerce stores
- Contact information on BigCommerce stores
- Top categories for BigCommerce stores
- Top countries for BigCommerce stores
- Number of employees for BigCommerce stores
- Number of products sold for BigCommerce stores
- Top BigCommerce technologies
- Top Shipping Carriers used by BigCommerce stores
- BigCommerce store top-level domain distribution
- Top BigCommerce stores
- New BigCommerce stores
- Stores switching to BigCommerce from other platforms
- Stores switching from BigCommerce to other platforms
Create a free account to get a feel for the data we provide.
At present, there are 47,803 live stores running on the BigCommerce platform.
BigCommerce has had steady, but linear, quarter-over-quarter growth over the last few years. With the world's economy continuing to move online, expect growth to continue even though they are operating in a competitive space dominated by large platforms.
- BigCommerce stores increased 4.4% quarter-over-quarter in 2021 Q2.
- BigCommerce stores increased 20% year-over-year in 2021 Q2.
Cumulative Stores by Quarter
It's hard to know exactly when a BigCommerce store was first created but we use a heuristic combining DNS and WHOIS data that provides a reasonable approximation.
Social Media Usage On BigCommerce Stores
Ecommerce brands use social media sites to engage with millions of consumers. Instagram and Facebook are the dominant social media sites for ecommerce stores, by far, with Twitter, Pinterest and YouTube also having notable usage.
- Facebook is used by 48.7% of BigCommerce stores.
- Instagram is used by 37.3% of BigCommerce stores.
- Twitter is used by 24.8% of BigCommerce stores.
Contact Information On BigCommerce Stores
Email remains an extremely popular communication channel. Perhaps most surprisingly, BigCommerce are twice as likely to provide a phone number than Shopify stores.
- 58% of BigCommerce stores provide a phone number on their website
- 42% of BigCommerce stores have an email on their website
Top Categories For BigCommerce Stores
Here is the breakdown of industry verticals for stores on BigCommerce.
- 16.5% of BigCommerce stores sell Apparel products.
- 16.1% of BigCommerce stores sell Home & Garden products.
- 7.1% of BigCommerce stores sell Beauty & Fitness products.
Top Countries For BigCommerce Stores
The largest part of BigCommerce's install base is within the United States, but they have a solid presence within the United Kingdom, Canada and Australia as well.
- 72.2% of BigCommerce stores are in United States
- 7.1% of BigCommerce stores are in Australia
- 6.7% of BigCommerce stores are in United Kingdom
- 3.3% of BigCommerce stores are in Canada
With a paid account, stores can also be segmented by region and city.
Number Of Employees For BigCommerce Stores
Here is the breakdown of BigCommerce stores by the number of employees.
- 1.7% of BigCommerce stores have 1 - 9 employees.
- 0.8% of BigCommerce stores have 10 - 24 employees.
- 0.4% of BigCommerce stores have 25 - 49 employees.
Number Of Products Sold For BigCommerce Stores
Here is the breakdown of BigCommerce stores by the number of products that they sell.
- 12.1% of BigCommerce stores sell 250 - 999 different products.
- 12.0% of BigCommerce stores sell 100 - 249 different products.
- 7.6% of BigCommerce stores sell 25 - 49 different products.
Top Technologies on BigCommerce Stores
We're tracking 233 different technologies that have 152,360 collective installs on BigCommerce stores.
- reCAPTCHA is used by 55.2% of BigCommerce stores.
- Google Analytics is used by 30.8% of BigCommerce stores.
- Facebook Pixel is used by 30.4% of BigCommerce stores.
Here are the top 10 third-party technologies, ordered by number of installs, across all BigCommerce stores.
Top Shipping Carriers Used By BigCommerce Stores
- USPS is used by 16.1% of BigCommerce stores.
- UPS is used by 15.4% of BigCommerce stores.
- Fedex is used by 8.2% of BigCommerce stores.
Here are the top 10 shipping carriers across all BigCommerce stores.
BigCommerce Store Top-level Domain Distribution
.com is the most popular top-level domain for BigCommerce stores. This is not surprising since alternate top-level domains have only been introduced somewhat recently and there is still a certain cachet associated with .com domains.
That said, you'll find stark regional differences in certain countries. In Australia, .com.au is the most common top-level domain with .com a close second. This is the exception however as .com domains dominate in virtually all other countries.
- 81.0% of BigCommerce stores have a .com domain.
- 5.4% of BigCommerce stores have a .com.au domain.
- 3.7% of BigCommerce stores have a .co.uk domain.
Top BigCommerce Stores
Here are the top stores, powered by BigCommerce, ordered by store rank.
New BigCommerce Stores
Here are the 5 highest-ranked stores added most recently.
Stores Switching to BigCommerce From Other Platforms
Over the last 90 days, BigCommerce has taken 408 merchants from competitive ecommerce platforms.
Here are the top stores that have switched to BigCommerce from competitive ecommerce platforms.
Stores Switching from BigCommerce To Other Platforms
Over the last 90 days, BigCommerce has lost 474 merchants to competitive platforms.
Here are the top BigCommerce stores that have recently changed to a competitive platform.
Get more insights on BigCommerce stores
Our search interface is easy to use and helps you find the BigCommerce stores that are relevant to you.
You can segment stores on a variety of dimensions:
- Social Media accounts
- Email address
- Phone numbers
- Third-party technologies
- Creation date
- Top-level domains
- Domain status
- Domain type
For more insights on BigCommerce stores, create a free account and have a look for yourself.