The State of Volusion in 2021
Launched in 2002, Volusion is one of the oldest ecommerce platform around. While it doesn't provide the most polished front-end, it's strength lie in back-end features like inventory management and analytics.
In this report, we'll cover the following essential statistics on Volusion usage.
- Volusion growth
- Social media usage on Volusion stores
- Contact information on Volusion stores
- Top categories for Volusion stores
- Top countries for Volusion stores
- Number of employees for Volusion stores
- Number of products sold for Volusion stores
- Top Volusion technologies
- Top Shipping Carriers used by Volusion stores
- Volusion store top-level domain distribution
- Top Volusion stores
- New Volusion stores
- Stores switching to Volusion from other platforms
- Stores switching from Volusion to other platforms
Create a free account to get a feel for the data we provide.
At present, there are 8,210 live stores running on the Volusion platform.
Here is the historical growth of stores running Volusion.
- Volusion stores increased 0.7% quarter-over-quarter in 2021 Q3.
- Volusion stores increased 2% year-over-year in 2021 Q3.
Cumulative Stores by Quarter
It's hard to know exactly when a Volusion store was first created but we use a heuristic combining DNS and WHOIS data that provides a reasonable approximation.
Social Media Usage On Volusion Stores
Ecommerce brands use social media sites to engage with millions of consumers. Instagram and Facebook are the dominant social media sites for ecommerce stores, by far, with Twitter, Pinterest and YouTube also having notable usage.
- Facebook is used by 35.6% of Volusion stores.
- Twitter is used by 22.9% of Volusion stores.
- Instagram is used by 18.8% of Volusion stores.
Contact Information On Volusion Stores
Email remains an extremely popular communication channel for merchants. Many merchants also provide a phone number so that their customers can reach them instantly.
- 60% of Volusion stores provide a phone number on their website
- 58% of Volusion stores have an email on their website
Top Categories For Volusion Stores
Here is the breakdown of industry verticals for stores on Volusion.
- 15.5% of Volusion stores sell Home & Garden products.
- 10.9% of Volusion stores sell Apparel products.
- 10.0% of Volusion stores sell Business & Industrial products.
Top Countries For Volusion Stores
Here are the top countries for stores using Volusion.
- 48.5% of Volusion stores are in United States
- 2.7% of Volusion stores are in Canada
- 2.0% of Volusion stores are in United Kingdom
- 1.2% of Volusion stores are in Australia
With a paid account, stores can also be segmented by region and city.
Number Of Employees For Volusion Stores
Here is the breakdown of Volusion stores by the number of employees.
- 1.7% of Volusion stores have 1 - 9 employees.
- 0.5% of Volusion stores have 10 - 24 employees.
- 0.2% of Volusion stores have 25 - 49 employees.
Number Of Products Sold For Volusion Stores
Here is the breakdown of Volusion stores by the number of products that they sell.
- 13.7% of Volusion stores sell 250 - 999 different products.
- 12.2% of Volusion stores sell 100 - 249 different products.
- 7.3% of Volusion stores sell 25 - 49 different products.
Top Technologies on Volusion Stores
We're tracking 132 different technologies that have 15,132 collective installs on Volusion stores.
- Google Analytics is used by 47.9% of Volusion stores.
- PayPal Checkout is used by 39.1% of Volusion stores.
- Google Tag Manager is used by 26.6% of Volusion stores.
Here are the top 10 third-party technologies, ordered by number of installs, across all Volusion stores.
Top Shipping Carriers Used By Volusion Stores
- UPS is used by 11.6% of Volusion stores.
- USPS is used by 8.6% of Volusion stores.
- Fedex is used by 4.9% of Volusion stores.
Here are the top 9 shipping carriers across all Volusion stores.
Volusion Store Top-level Domain Distribution
.com is the most popular top-level domain for Volusion stores. This is not surprising since alternate top-level domains have only been introduced somewhat recently and there is still a certain cachet associated with .com domains.
That said, you'll find stark regional differences in certain countries. In Australia, .com.au is the most common top-level domain with .com a close second. This is the exception however as .com domains dominate in virtually all other countries.
- 89.3% of Volusion stores have a .com domain.
- 2.7% of Volusion stores have a .net domain.
- 1.6% of Volusion stores have a .org domain.
Top Volusion Stores
Here are the top stores, powered by Volusion, ordered by store rank.
New Volusion Stores
Here are the 5 highest-ranked stores added most recently.
Stores Switching to Volusion From Other Platforms
Over the last 90 days, Volusion has taken 8 merchants from competitive ecommerce platforms.
Here are the top stores that have switched to Volusion from competitive ecommerce platforms.
Stores Switching from Volusion To Other Platforms
Over the last 90 days, Volusion has lost 118 merchants to competitive platforms.
Here are the top Volusion stores that have recently changed to a competitive platform.
Get more insights on Volusion stores
Our search interface is easy to use and helps you find the Volusion stores that are relevant to you.
You can segment stores on a variety of dimensions:
- Social Media accounts
- Email address
- Phone numbers
- Third-party technologies
- Creation date
- Top-level domains
- Domain status
- Domain type
For more insights on Volusion stores, create a free account and have a look for yourself.