The State of Rain in 2023
Rain provides an integrated Point-of-Sale and Website system for retailers.
In this report, we'll cover the following essential statistics on Rain usage.
- Rain growth
- Social media usage on Rain stores
- Contact information on Rain stores
- Top categories for Rain stores
- Top countries for Rain stores
- Number of employees for Rain stores
- Number of products sold for Rain stores
- Top Rain technologies
- Top Shipping Carriers used by Rain stores
- Rain store top-level domain distribution
- Top Rain stores
- New Rain stores
- Stores switching to Rain from other platforms
- Stores switching from Rain to other platforms
Create a free account to get a feel for the data we provide.
At present, there are 2,710 live stores running on the Rain platform.
Here is the historical growth of stores running Rain.
- Rain stores increased 2.8% quarter-over-quarter in 2022 Q4.
- Rain stores increased 13% year-over-year in 2022 Q4.
Cumulative Stores by Quarter
It's hard to know exactly when a Rain store was first created but we use a heuristic combining DNS and WHOIS data that provides a reasonable approximation.
Social Media Usage On Rain Stores
Ecommerce brands use social media sites to engage with millions of consumers. Instagram and Facebook are the dominant social media sites for ecommerce stores, by far, with Twitter, Pinterest and YouTube also having notable usage.
- Facebook is used by 76.4% of Rain stores.
- Instagram is used by 47.6% of Rain stores.
- Pinterest is used by 16.6% of Rain stores.
Contact Information On Rain Stores
Email remains an extremely popular communication channel for merchants. Many merchants also provide a phone number so that their customers can reach them instantly.
- 96% of Rain stores provide a phone number on their website
- 71% of Rain stores have an email on their website
Top Categories For Rain Stores
Here is the breakdown of industry verticals for stores on Rain.
- 62.3% of Rain stores sell Toys & Hobbies products.
- 22.5% of Rain stores sell Home & Garden products.
- 8.5% of Rain stores sell Arts & Entertainment products.
- 5.2% of Rain stores sell Sports products.
Top Countries For Rain Stores
Here are the top countries for stores using Rain.
- 93.9% of Rain stores are in United States
- 5.3% of Rain stores are in Canada
- 0.8% of Rain stores are in Australia
- 0.0% of Rain stores are in United Kingdom
With a paid account, stores can also be segmented by region and city.
Number Of Employees For Rain Stores
Here is the breakdown of Rain stores by the number of employees.
- 0.4% of Rain stores have 1 - 9 employees.
- 0.1% of Rain stores have 10 - 24 employees.
- 0.1% of Rain stores have 50 - 99 employees.
Number Of Products Sold For Rain Stores
Here is the breakdown of Rain stores by the number of products that they sell.
- 41.0% of Rain stores sell 250 - 999 different products.
- 19.6% of Rain stores sell 100 - 249 different products.
- 11.7% of Rain stores sell 1000 - 4999 different products.
Top Technologies on Rain Stores
We're tracking 65 different technologies that have 20,750 collective installs on Rain stores.
- New Relic is used by 100.0% of Rain stores.
- Sellbrite is used by 100.0% of Rain stores.
- Adyen Online Payments is used by 99.9% of Rain stores.
Here are the top 10 third-party technologies, ordered by number of installs, across all Rain stores.
Top Shipping Carriers Used By Rain Stores
- USPS is used by 13.3% of Rain stores.
- UPS is used by 5.5% of Rain stores.
- Canada Post is used by 2.2% of Rain stores.
Here are the top 7 shipping carriers across all Rain stores.
Rain Store Top-level Domain Distribution
.com is the most popular top-level domain for Rain stores. This is not surprising since alternate top-level domains have only been introduced somewhat recently and there is still a certain cachet associated with .com domains.
That said, you'll find stark regional differences in certain countries. In Australia, .com.au is the most common top-level domain with .com a close second. This is the exception however as .com domains dominate in virtually all other countries.
- 89.8% of Rain stores have a .com domain.
- 3.8% of Rain stores have a .net domain.
- 2.6% of Rain stores have a .ca domain.
Top Rain Stores
Here are the top stores, powered by Rain, ordered by store rank.
New Rain Stores
Here are the 5 highest-ranked stores added most recently.
Stores Switching to Rain From Other Platforms
Over the last 90 days, Rain has taken 226 merchants from competitive ecommerce platforms.
Here are the top stores that have switched to Rain from competitive ecommerce platforms.
Stores Switching from Rain To Other Platforms
Over the last 90 days, Rain has lost 5 merchants to competitive platforms.
Here are the top Rain stores that have recently changed to a competitive platform.
Get more insights on Rain stores
Our search interface is easy to use and helps you find the Rain stores that are relevant to you.
You can segment stores on a variety of dimensions:
- Social Media accounts
- Email address
- Phone numbers
- Third-party technologies
- Creation date
- Top-level domains
- Domain status
- Domain type
For more insights on Rain stores, create a free account and have a look for yourself.