The State of BASE in 2021
BASE is an ecommerce platform, based in Japan, which allows merchants to seamlessly set up online storefronts, including all necessary digital payment capabilities.
In this report, we'll cover the following essential statistics on BASE usage.
- BASE growth
- Social media usage on BASE stores
- Contact information on BASE stores
- Top categories for BASE stores
- Top countries for BASE stores
- Number of employees for BASE stores
- Number of products sold for BASE stores
- Top BASE technologies
- Top Shipping Carriers used by BASE stores
- BASE store top-level domain distribution
- Top BASE stores
- New BASE stores
- Stores switching to BASE from other platforms
- Stores switching from BASE to other platforms
Create a free account to get a feel for the data we provide.
At present, there are 57,574 live stores running on the BASE platform.
Here is the historical growth of stores running BASE.
- BASE stores increased 10.0% quarter-over-quarter in 2021 Q2.
- BASE stores increased 67% year-over-year in 2021 Q2.
Cumulative Stores by Quarter
It's hard to know exactly when a BASE store was first created but we use a heuristic combining DNS and WHOIS data that provides a reasonable approximation.
Social Media Usage On BASE Stores
Ecommerce brands use social media sites to engage with millions of consumers. Instagram and Facebook are the dominant social media sites for ecommerce stores, by far, with Twitter, Pinterest and YouTube also having notable usage.
- Instagram is used by 46.6% of BASE stores.
- Facebook is used by 31.2% of BASE stores.
- Twitter is used by 29.4% of BASE stores.
Contact Information On BASE Stores
Email remains an extremely popular communication channel for merchants. Many merchants also provide a phone number so that their customers can reach them instantly.
- 14% of BASE stores provide a phone number on their website
- 11% of BASE stores have an email on their website
Top Categories For BASE Stores
Here is the breakdown of industry verticals for stores on BASE.
- 1.0% of BASE stores sell Apparel products.
- 0.7% of BASE stores sell Food & Drink products.
- 0.3% of BASE stores sell Beauty & Fitness products.
Top Countries For BASE Stores
Here are the top countries for stores using BASE.
- 100.0% of BASE stores are in Japan
- 0.0% of BASE stores are in Germany
With a paid account, stores can also be segmented by region and city.
Number Of Employees For BASE Stores
Here is the breakdown of BASE stores by the number of employees.
- 0.0% of BASE stores have 25 - 49 employees.
Number Of Products Sold For BASE Stores
Here is the breakdown of BASE stores by the number of products that they sell.
- 0.2% of BASE stores sell 1 - 9 different products.
- 0.1% of BASE stores sell 100 - 249 different products.
- 0.1% of BASE stores sell 25 - 49 different products.
Top Technologies on BASE Stores
We're tracking 24 different technologies that have 165,066 collective installs on BASE stores.
- New Relic is used by 100.0% of BASE stores.
- Google Tag Manager is used by 99.9% of BASE stores.
- Facebook Pixel is used by 33.2% of BASE stores.
Here are the top 10 third-party technologies, ordered by number of installs, across all BASE stores.
Top Shipping Carriers Used By BASE Stores
- Japan Post is used by 0.3% of BASE stores.
- Yamato Transport is used by 0.2% of BASE stores.
- UPS is used by 0.1% of BASE stores.
Here are the top 6 shipping carriers across all BASE stores.
BASE Store Top-level Domain Distribution
Here is the top-level domain distribution for BASE stores.
- 31.3% of BASE stores have a .in domain.
- 24.2% of BASE stores have a .jp domain.
- 18.0% of BASE stores have a .com domain.
Top BASE Stores
Here are the top stores, powered by BASE, ordered by store rank.
New BASE Stores
Here are the 5 highest-ranked stores added most recently.
Stores Switching to BASE From Other Platforms
Over the last 90 days, BASE has taken 24 merchants from competitive ecommerce platforms.
Here are the top stores that have switched to BASE from competitive ecommerce platforms.
Stores Switching from BASE To Other Platforms
Over the last 90 days, BASE has lost 30 merchants to competitive platforms.
Here are the top BASE stores that have recently changed to a competitive platform.
Get more insights on BASE stores
Our search interface is easy to use and helps you find the BASE stores that are relevant to you.
You can segment stores on a variety of dimensions:
- Social Media accounts
- Email address
- Phone numbers
- Third-party technologies
- Creation date
- Top-level domains
- Domain status
- Domain type
For more insights on BASE stores, create a free account and have a look for yourself.