The State of SumUp in 2023
In this report, we'll cover the following essential statistics on SumUp usage.
- SumUp growth
- Social media usage on SumUp stores
- Contact information on SumUp stores
- Top categories for SumUp stores
- Top countries for SumUp stores
- Number of employees for SumUp stores
- Number of products sold for SumUp stores
- Top SumUp technologies
- Top Shipping Carriers used by SumUp stores
- SumUp store top-level domain distribution
- Top SumUp stores
- New SumUp stores
- Stores switching to SumUp from other platforms
- Stores switching from SumUp to other platforms
Create a free account to get a feel for the data we provide.
At present, there are 5,070 live stores running on the SumUp platform.
Here is the historical growth of stores running SumUp.
Active Stores by Quarter
Note: the store counts displayed in this section are based on actual historical store counts.
It's hard to know exactly when a SumUp store was first created but we use a heuristic that includes historical DNS data which provides a reasonable approximation.
Social Media Usage On SumUp Stores
Ecommerce brands use social media sites to engage with millions of consumers. Instagram and Facebook are the dominant social media sites for ecommerce stores, by far, with Twitter, Pinterest and YouTube also having notable usage.
- Instagram is used by 51.3% of SumUp stores.
- Facebook is used by 43.4% of SumUp stores.
- Pinterest is used by 3.8% of SumUp stores.
Contact Information On SumUp Stores
Email remains an extremely popular communication channel for merchants. Many merchants also provide a phone number so that their customers can reach them instantly.
- 3% of SumUp stores have an email on their website
- 2% of SumUp stores provide a phone number on their website
Top Categories For SumUp Stores
Here is the breakdown of industry verticals for stores on SumUp.
- 4.8% of SumUp stores sell Apparel products.
- 4.0% of SumUp stores sell Home & Garden products.
- 3.6% of SumUp stores sell Arts & Entertainment products.
Top Countries For SumUp Stores
Here are the top countries for stores using SumUp.
- 29.5% of SumUp stores are in United Kingdom
- 6.6% of SumUp stores are in France
- 4.0% of SumUp stores are in Switzerland
- 1.6% of SumUp stores are in Germany
With a paid account, stores can also be segmented by region and city.
Number Of Employees For SumUp Stores
Here is the breakdown of SumUp stores by the number of employees.
- 99.9% of SumUp stores have Unknown employees.
- 0.0% of SumUp stores have 1 - 9 employees.
- 0.0% of SumUp stores have 1000 - 4999 employees.
Number Of Products Sold For SumUp Stores
Here is the breakdown of SumUp stores by the number of products that they sell.
- 37.3% of SumUp stores sell 1 - 9 different products.
- 0.9% of SumUp stores sell 10 - 24 different products.
- 0.5% of SumUp stores sell 25 - 49 different products.
Top Technologies on SumUp Stores
We're tracking 18 different technologies that have 19,684 collective installs on SumUp stores.
- Google Adsense is used by 100.0% of SumUp stores.
- Google Tag Manager is used by 100.0% of SumUp stores.
- Cloudfront CDN is used by 99.7% of SumUp stores.
Here are the top 10 third-party technologies, ordered by number of installs, across all SumUp stores.
Top Shipping Carriers Used By SumUp Stores
- Royal Mail is used by 0.4% of SumUp stores.
- La Poste is used by 0.2% of SumUp stores.
- Fedex is used by 0.0% of SumUp stores.
Here are the top 9 shipping carriers across all SumUp stores.
SumUp Store Top-level Domain Distribution
.com is the most popular top-level domain for SumUp stores. This is not surprising since alternate top-level domains have only been introduced somewhat recently and there is still a certain cachet associated with .com domains.
That said, you'll find stark regional differences in certain countries. In Australia, .com.au is the most common top-level domain with .com a close second. This is the exception however as .com domains dominate in virtually all other countries.
- 78.2% of SumUp stores have a .com domain.
- 6.0% of SumUp stores have a .fr domain.
- 4.6% of SumUp stores have a .co.uk domain.
Top SumUp Stores
Here are the top stores, powered by SumUp, ordered by store rank.
New SumUp Stores
Here are the 5 highest-ranked stores added most recently.
Stores Switching to SumUp From Other Platforms
Over the last 90 days, SumUp has taken 2,665 merchants from competitive ecommerce platforms.
Here are the top stores that have switched to SumUp from competitive ecommerce platforms.
Stores Switching from SumUp To Other Platforms
Over the last 90 days, SumUp has lost 11 merchants to competitive platforms.
Here are the top SumUp stores that have recently changed to a competitive platform.
Get more insights on SumUp stores
Our search interface is easy to use and helps you find the SumUp stores that are relevant to you.
You can segment stores on a variety of dimensions:
- Social Media accounts
- Email address
- Phone numbers
- Third-party technologies
- Creation date
- Top-level domains
- Domain status
- Domain type
For more insights on SumUp stores, create a free account and have a look for yourself.