The State of Lightspeed in 2021
Founded in 2005, Lightspeed is a point-of-sale and ecommerce software provider based in Montreal, Quebec.
In this report, we'll cover the following essential statistics on Lightspeed usage.
- Lightspeed growth
- Social media usage on Lightspeed stores
- Contact information on Lightspeed stores
- Top categories for Lightspeed stores
- Top countries for Lightspeed stores
- Number of employees for Lightspeed stores
- Number of products sold for Lightspeed stores
- Top Lightspeed technologies
- Top Shipping Carriers used by Lightspeed stores
- Lightspeed store top-level domain distribution
- Top Lightspeed stores
- New Lightspeed stores
- Stores switching to Lightspeed from other platforms
- Stores switching from Lightspeed to other platforms
Create a free account to get a feel for the data we provide.
At present, there are 4,767 live stores running on the Lightspeed platform.
Here is the historical growth of stores running Lightspeed.
- Lightspeed stores increased 8.4% quarter-over-quarter in 2021 Q2.
- Lightspeed stores increased 65% year-over-year in 2021 Q2.
Cumulative Stores by Quarter
It's hard to know exactly when a Lightspeed store was first created but we use a heuristic combining DNS and WHOIS data that provides a reasonable approximation.
Social Media Usage On Lightspeed Stores
Ecommerce brands use social media sites to engage with millions of consumers. Instagram and Facebook are the dominant social media sites for ecommerce stores, by far, with Twitter, Pinterest and YouTube also having notable usage.
- Facebook is used by 74.9% of Lightspeed stores.
- Instagram is used by 68.6% of Lightspeed stores.
- Twitter is used by 23.1% of Lightspeed stores.
Contact Information On Lightspeed Stores
Email remains an extremely popular communication channel for merchants. Many merchants also provide a phone number so that their customers can reach them instantly.
- 71% of Lightspeed stores provide a phone number on their website
- 24% of Lightspeed stores have an email on their website
Top Categories For Lightspeed Stores
Here is the breakdown of industry verticals for stores on Lightspeed.
- 18.4% of Lightspeed stores sell Apparel products.
- 12.5% of Lightspeed stores sell Sports products.
- 5.8% of Lightspeed stores sell Home & Garden products.
Top Countries For Lightspeed Stores
Here are the top countries for stores using Lightspeed.
- 54.0% of Lightspeed stores are in United States
- 25.0% of Lightspeed stores are in Canada
- 2.1% of Lightspeed stores are in Australia
- 0.6% of Lightspeed stores are in Spain
With a paid account, stores can also be segmented by region and city.
Number Of Employees For Lightspeed Stores
Here is the breakdown of Lightspeed stores by the number of employees.
- 0.5% of Lightspeed stores have 1 - 9 employees.
- 0.1% of Lightspeed stores have 10 - 24 employees.
- 0.0% of Lightspeed stores have 100 - 249 employees.
Number Of Products Sold For Lightspeed Stores
Here is the breakdown of Lightspeed stores by the number of products that they sell.
- 17.2% of Lightspeed stores sell 250 - 999 different products.
- 8.6% of Lightspeed stores sell 100 - 249 different products.
- 6.1% of Lightspeed stores sell 1000 - 4999 different products.
Top Technologies on Lightspeed Stores
We're tracking 68 different technologies that have 6,957 collective installs on Lightspeed stores.
- Google Analytics is used by 38.9% of Lightspeed stores.
- Google Tag Manager is used by 38.0% of Lightspeed stores.
- Facebook Pixel is used by 22.0% of Lightspeed stores.
Here are the top 10 third-party technologies, ordered by number of installs, across all Lightspeed stores.
Top Shipping Carriers Used By Lightspeed Stores
- UPS is used by 3.3% of Lightspeed stores.
- USPS is used by 2.2% of Lightspeed stores.
- Canada Post is used by 0.9% of Lightspeed stores.
Here are the top 7 shipping carriers across all Lightspeed stores.
Lightspeed Store Top-level Domain Distribution
.com is the most popular top-level domain for Lightspeed stores. This is not surprising since alternate top-level domains have only been introduced somewhat recently and there is still a certain cachet associated with .com domains.
That said, you'll find stark regional differences in certain countries. In Australia, .com.au is the most common top-level domain with .com a close second. This is the exception however as .com domains dominate in virtually all other countries.
- 80.2% of Lightspeed stores have a .com domain.
- 11.3% of Lightspeed stores have a .ca domain.
- 1.8% of Lightspeed stores have a .com.au domain.
Top Lightspeed Stores
Here are the top stores, powered by Lightspeed, ordered by store rank.
New Lightspeed Stores
Here are the 5 highest-ranked stores added most recently.
Stores Switching to Lightspeed From Other Platforms
Over the last 90 days, Lightspeed has taken 54 merchants from competitive ecommerce platforms.
Here are the top stores that have switched to Lightspeed from competitive ecommerce platforms.
Stores Switching from Lightspeed To Other Platforms
Over the last 90 days, Lightspeed has lost 52 merchants to competitive platforms.
Here are the top Lightspeed stores that have recently changed to a competitive platform.
Get more insights on Lightspeed stores
Our search interface is easy to use and helps you find the Lightspeed stores that are relevant to you.
You can segment stores on a variety of dimensions:
- Social Media accounts
- Email address
- Phone numbers
- Third-party technologies
- Creation date
- Top-level domains
- Domain status
- Domain type
For more insights on Lightspeed stores, create a free account and have a look for yourself.