Shopify Plus Statistics 2023
There are 27,124 domains running Shopify Plus, Shopify's pricing plan with the most features. Shopify Plus allows merchants to run stores on multiple domains, and there are approximately 18,082 distinct merchants running Shopify Plus.
In this report, we'll cover the following essential statistics on Shopify Plus usage.
- Shopify Plus growth
- Social media usage on Shopify Plus stores
- Contact information on Shopify Plus stores
- Top categories for Shopify Plus stores
- Top countries for Shopify Plus stores
- Top Shopify Plus apps
- Number of employees for Shopify Plus stores
- Number of products sold for Shopify Plus stores
- Top Shopify Plus technologies
- Top themes for Shopify Plus stores
- Shopify Plus store top-level domain distribution
- Top Shopify Plus stores
- Stores switching to Shopify Plus from other platforms
Create a free account to get a feel for the data we provide.
Shopify Plus Growth
At present, there are 27,124 live stores running Shopify Plus.
- Shopify Plus stores increased 3.1% quarter-over-quarter in 2022 Q4.
- Shopify Plus stores increased 18% year-over-year in 2022 Q4.
Cumulative Stores by Quarter
It's hard to know exactly when a Shopify store was first created but we use a heuristic combining DNS and WHOIS data that provides a reasonable approximation.
Social Media Usage On Shopify Plus Stores
Ecommerce brands use social media sites to engage with millions of consumers. Instagram and Facebook are the dominant social media sites for ecommerce stores, by far, with Twitter, Pinterest and YouTube also having notable usage. Facebook and Instagram usage is approximately 50% higher on Shopify Plus stores compared to other Shopify stores. In general, Shopify Plus merchants are much more likely to include contact information (of all types) than other merchants.
- Instagram is used by 76.5% of Shopify Plus stores.
- Facebook is used by 75.3% of Shopify Plus stores.
- LinkedIn is used by 50.5% of Shopify Plus stores.
Contact Information On Shopify Plus Stores
Shopify Plus stores provide an email address and phone number 50-75% more frequently than regular Shopify stores.
- 78% of Shopify Plus stores have an email on their website
- 59% of Shopify Plus stores provide a phone number on their website
Top Categories For Shopify Plus Stores
Here are the top 20 industry verticals for Shopify Plus stores. The industry breakdown closely resembles that of all Shopify stores (regardless of pricing plan), however merchants in the Beauty & Fitness and Arts & Entertainment verticals are more likely to use Shopify Plus, while merchants in the Food & Drink vertical are less likely to use Shopify Plus.
- 26.7% of Shopify Plus stores sell Apparel products.
- 12.6% of Shopify Plus stores sell Beauty & Fitness products.
- 11.4% of Shopify Plus stores sell Home & Garden products.
Top Countries For Shopify Plus Stores
The country distribution of Shopify Plus merchants largely reflects the overall country distribution across all pricing plans. One notable exception is that merchants in the United Kingdom are more likely to use Shopify Plus.
Here are the top countries for Shopify Plus stores.
- 49.2% of Shopify Plus stores are in United States
- 9.5% of Shopify Plus stores are in United Kingdom
- 6.0% of Shopify Plus stores are in Australia
- 5.9% of Shopify Plus stores are in Canada
With a paid account, stores can also be segmented by region and city.
Top Shopify Plus Apps
Here are the top apps used by Shopify Plus stores, ordered by number of installs, across all stores.
- 60.7% of Shopify Plus stores have installed the Klaviyo: Email Marketing & SMS Shopify app.
- 25.2% of Shopify Plus stores have installed the Product Reviews Shopify app.
- 16.0% of Shopify Plus stores have installed the Klarna On‑Site Messaging Shopify app.
This list is not representative of all Shopify apps since we are only able to detect a subset of app installs. Fortunately, many of the most popular apps can be detected. At present, we are tracking 241,646 installs for 1,546 different apps.
With a paid account on Store Leads, you'll be able to see which stores have installed specific apps. You can also see when specific apps were installed (or uninstalled) by each store.
Number Of Employees For Shopify Plus Stores
Here is the breakdown of Shopify Plus stores by the number of employees. As you would expect, the average Shopify Plus merchant has more employees than the average Shopify merchant. Here is the breakdown of Shopify Plus stores by the number of employees.
- 14.7% of Shopify Plus stores have 1 - 9 employees.
- 12.5% of Shopify Plus stores have 10 - 24 employees.
- 9.4% of Shopify Plus stores have 25 - 49 employees.
Number Of Products Sold For Shopify Plus Stores
As you may expect, merchants using Shopify Plus tend to have a larger catalog of products for sale than other merchants. Here is the breakdown of Shopify Plus stores by the number of products that they sell.
- 20.1% of Shopify Plus stores sell 250 - 999 different products.
- 16.7% of Shopify Plus stores sell 100 - 249 different products.
- 12.2% of Shopify Plus stores sell 50 - 99 different products.
Top Technologies on Shopify Plus StoresWe're tracking 433 different technologies that have 413,769 collective installs on Shopify Plus stores.
- Cloudflare CDN is used by 95.9% of Shopify Plus stores.
- Google Analytics is used by 84.4% of Shopify Plus stores.
- Google Tag Manager is used by 76.8% of Shopify Plus stores.
Here are the top 10 third-party technologies, ordered by number of installs, across all Shopify Plus stores.
Top Themes For Shopify Plus Stores
Shopify has an active and extension theme store. Merchants using Shopify can use one of those pre-built theme or develop their own custom theme to meet their needs. We're currently tracking over 1000 different themes used Shopify Plus stores. Here are the top themes.
- The debut theme is used by 8.0% of Shopify Plus stores and is the most popular theme.
- The impulse theme is used by 5.7% of Shopify Plus stores and is the second most popular theme.
- The prestige theme is used by 5.4% of Shopify Plus stores and is the third most popular theme.
Shopify Plus Store Top-level Domain Distribution
.com is the most popular top-level domain for Shopify stores. This is not surprising since alternate top-level domains have only been introduced somewhat recently and there is still a certain cachet associated with .com domains.
That said, you'll find stark regional differences in certain countries. In Australia, .com.au is the most common top-level domain with .com a close second. This is the exception however as .com domains dominate in virtually all other countries.
- 70.7% of Shopify stores have a .com domain.
- 3.0% of Shopify stores have a .co.uk domain.
- 2.9% of Shopify stores have a .com.au domain.
Top Shopify Plus Stores
Here are the top 20 Shopify Plus stores, ordered by popularity. You'll need a paid account to see the entire list. Be sure to scroll down the page to get more insights on Shopify Plus stores.
Shopify Plus Platform Wins
Over the last 90 days, Shopify Plus has taken 235 merchants from competitive platforms.
Platform Win Stores
Here are the top stores won from competitive platforms.
Get more insights on Shopify stores
Our search interface is easy to use and helps you find the Shopify stores that are relevant to you.
You can segment stores on a variety of dimensions:
- Social Media accounts
- Email address
- Phone numbers
- Installed Apps
- Theme and Theme Vendor
- Number of Products Sold
- Third-party technologies
- Creation date
- Top-level domains
- Domain status
- Domain type
For more insights on Shopify stores, create a free account and have a look for yourself.