How do I split columns in the export CSV?
If you export our data using our default export format, you'll notice that sometimes we write multiple values to the same column. For instance, if a store has more than one email address or more than one categories, we'll write all of the values into a single column.
Depending on your use case, this can make it tricky to process the CSV. Follow these instructions if you want to have all email addresses (or any other column that may contain multiple values) in separate columns.
- Highlight the entire column that contains email addresses
- Click Data -> "Split text to columns". You must specify the delimiter (which is a colon in the default CSV export format).
- Select the cell or cells whose contents you want to split.
- On the Data tab, in the Data Tools group, click Text to Columns. The Convert Text to Columns Wizard opens.
- Choose Delimited if it is not already selected, and then click Next.
- Select the delimiter or delimiters to define the places where you want to split the cell content. The Data preview section shows you what your content would look like. Click Next.
- In the Column data format area, select the data format for the new columns. By default, the columns have the same data format as the original cell. Click Finish.